What Goes Into A Custody Plan?

Creating a child custody plan that "works" isn't always a straightforward, step-by-step process. Each plan will flex to the particular needs of each individual family. That said, there are a few things that each plan will need to address, such as:

  • A parenting schedule that gives each parent ample time to connect with the kids, whether through joint custody or regular visitation
  • How to deal with vacations and holidays
  • How education and lifestyle (i.e., religion, values, etc.) decisions will be made
  • Whose health insurance the kids will be on and how extra health care expenses will be handled
  • What will happen if changes to the custody plan are needed due to relocation, remarriage, etc.

As your lawyer, I'm committed to finding a custody solution that both protects your children's well-being and your parental rights. Since 1998, I have helped families across the Kansas City metro area create custody plans that meet their specific situations.

Co-Parenting After Divorce Or Separation

Like many states, Kansas requires custody plans to preserve the best interests of the children, which ideally includes regular contact with both parents. Even though you're no longer with your ex-partner, you are still a parental team.

In my experience, the best custody plans are those in which parents can set aside their personal differences to work together and communicate regularly. These couples often benefit from the mediation process, where they develop a parenting plan together with a neutral mediator. As a mediator myself, I can help parents who seek amicable solutions to their custody matters.

When Co-Parenting Won't Work

Of course, this ideal situation doesn't work for every family. Highly contested cases or those involving allegations of abuse or neglect will necessarily complicate your custody structure. It also likely means bringing the matter before the court. As your advocate, I will defend your rights and always work toward a solution that protects your children's well-being and safety.

Getting Started With Your Custody Plan

Whether you're getting divorced or wishing to enforce your rights as an unmarried parent, I, attorney Richard Becker, can help. Contact my office in Overland Park at 913-871-0357 to schedule a consultation today.